Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pop-Up Junk Mail Christmas Cards



I just finished making my 2008 Junk Mail Gems Christmas cards, and had to share, since this is something that pretty much anyone can do!



These cards are made out of 100% recycled junk mail and are sure to get a reaction. If you are a pop-up fan, then you already know of Robert Sabuda's fantastic work. His website is full of easy tutorials for making your own pop-up cards, and this is where I found this reindeer pattern. I added the red nose by simply using a hole punch on a piece of red junk mail and gluing the resulting dot on one side of the folded nose, and then painted on the eyes. The piece on the left side that I wrote on is the inside of a security envelope. I used a menswear catalog for the main card and the reindeer...the front and back covers, since they are a thicker stock.

In retrospect, I should have designed the cards to fit inside a business reply envelope, which I could also have recycled. Well, I guess there's always next year!

Check out Robert's tutorials if you either have a lot of time to make cards, or a small mailing list! :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How cute!!!

Carol P said...

Awesome. This is a great idea for any pattern that's mostly sculptural...think origamic architecture. I love o.a., but the pure white esthetic isn't my thing.

Carol
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting
http://extremecards.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

What's going on in the world of Junk Mail Gems, along with other cool, hand-made "green" products, DIY projects, and more!